Sample Questions for advising session
Questions about academics:
1. "What courses are you planning to take this semester?" (A natural question for the pre-study-card meeting at the beginning of the semester.)
2. "Have your academic goals and plan of study
changed since we last met?"
3. "What research projects have you been involved
with?" (In the summer, or in phys90r. Just a very brief "what, where, with whom.")
4. "Do you have any plans for future research?"
(In the summer, or in phys90r.)
5. "What are your summer
plans in general?" (If not included in #4 above.)
6. "What are your future plans, for after
college?" (Grad school, teaching, industry, etc.
Do these plans correlate reasonably well with the answers to questions #1 to #5
7. "Are there any issues you have concerning grad
school applications, GRE's, etc?"
Questions about general student life:
8. "How much interaction do you have with other students? Do you work in groups on problem sets?" (This is something to be strongly encouraged.)
9. "Do you take advantage of various things offered
by the department?" For example:
a) Wednesday study-night at Leverett House
b) Monday-evening SPS Cool Physics talks
c) Women in Physics study night
d) Monday Colloquia and tea
e) Wednesday evening Physics 95 talks
10. "Are there things that you particularly like or
dislike in certain classes? In the department in
11. "What extracurricular activities are you
12. "Are you a 'buddy' to a freshman? How is this
13. "Are there any issues you have concerning being
a woman or minority in the department?" (If a woman or
minority, of course.)
14. "Do you have a nickname you like to use?"
15. Other comments: